Monday, November 2, 2009

Lost...

I thought it'd be fun to try to relate Locke's essay to the character
named after him on "Lost," but I had a ridiculous day at work, which
ended with another teacher's student telling me to "Shut the fuck up"
because I asked him to take out his ear phones.

Such a special child.

However, I was intrigued by Locke's assertions RE: words, meanings,
signification, etc. and how they relate to Postmodern theories of
language. However, he discusses the "essence" of a thing, which points
to Plato's idea of Truth, which in turn the postmodernists tend to
quash. However, the roots have been planted (probably in earlier
readings, but this is the first reading that stood out to me.

I'd like to discuss in class is final paragraph, in which he discusses
the (ab)use of figurative language and allusions in Rhetoric, arguing
that they exist for "pleasure and delight" but not rhetorical purposes.
I tend to disagree...but then again, I'm a lit major.

And finally, I'd like to discuss this quote... "Eloquence, like the fair
sex, has too prevailing beauties in it to suffer itself ever to be
spoken against. And it is in vain to find fault with those arts of
deceiving, wherein men find pleasure to be deceived."

No comments:

Post a Comment