Monday, November 9, 2009

Relating Campbell to the Sublime...

I find it interesting that George asked us to relate the readings
specifically to our discussion we’re formulating for our paper, as I
specifically engineered my own reading this week to see what would help
me in my paper on Sonic Youth and a contemporary understanding of “The
Sublime.”

In Campbell’s “The Philosophy of Rhetoric,” he quite melodramatically
describes the sublime as “great and noble images” that “distend the
imagination with some vast conception and quite ravish the soul.” I
don’t know if it’s my postmodern upbringing, but I’m too cynical to
believe that there is any form or art (or oratory—as he’s discussing
here) in existence that can ravish my soul. Instead, contemporary art,
in order for it to be considered “sublime” in my eyes must raise
challenge flags to accepted truths about art. The questions an artist
raises through their art in turn “ravish” my soul, making me contemplate
accepted ideas, “truths” and discourse. This does, in Campbell’s terms,
rouse passion in a way—but not through aesthetic beauty. (Question: Is
there a way in which contemporary artists achieve the sublime in the
traditional sense today? Did past artists?)

Blair, in “Lectures on Rhetoric and Belles Lettres,” discusses taste in
a manner that made me contemplate my own discussions with friends. In my
spare time I’m a music critic, and since most of my friends know this
about me, they constantly try to engage me in discussions about music.
This puts me in an incredibly awkward position, because they tell me
about bands they like, (typically popular fare, such as Linkin Park, The
Killers and American Idol winners), and I cannot engage them in the kind
of dialogue they want. They’ve never heard of the bands I appreciate and
study, nor are they familiar with the history of pop music. For them,
music is a casual pastime, and for me it’s more of a form of study.
Blair, in Lecture II, gives me a little bit more license to not view
myself as simply an elitist bastard who can’t speak with the common
people about music. He helped me realize that there are levels of taste
that can be cultivated over time.

I just wish other people could see that and not just think I’m a music
snob. I’m not. I just know more of the history of musical movements,
understand contexts and like better music than they do.

Just kidding about that last part. Or am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment