Monday, November 23, 2009

More Grammar....

It's interesting to see in Connor's article more of what we've been
talking about regarding issues of grammar.

I wish I could go back in time to pinpoint at what moments and with what
teachers I learned how to write, how to spell, how to write coherently
and how to write with ideas. I know that I had a decent education and
had different kinds of English teachers working on different things each
year, grammar and idea-wise. But I have trouble pinpointing which helped.

I think, as we talked about last class, it's truly reading that helps
you get a better understanding of grammar that helps a writer develop
their own Grammar for writing. I know in my writing I use commas in
certain ways that professors have circled for being "incorrect." And, as
Maggie said above, should that impact the quality of the paper?

I think, ultimately, a student who has a propensity toward being a good
writer--due to whatever teachers have done to help them in the
past--will develop their own Grammar with which to write, piecing their
Grammar together from all of their experiences.

I, for one, like knowing the rules so that I can break them. Sometimes
fragments are simply necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment